Friday, September 11, 2009

Week 2

I've taken yet another blogging hiatus. Writing blog updates is often on the bottom of my to-do list, and I rarely get down that far. (Extra sleep ranks a little higher on the to-do list, and it turns out it's a lot easier to talk myself into sleeping.)

I just finished the second week of business school. May I note, ladies and gentlemen, that business school is a whole new ball game. Now it's not content in your presentations that matters; everyone has good content. Your presentation has to perfect. And funny. And if they professor's mind wanders during the presentation, you can forget about that 4.0. And your resume? It darn well better be flawless. And I mean flawless. Then there's that intimidation factor of being in a school where nearly 85 percent of my classmates are male. Oh yeah - the business school is now the no. 5 ranked undergraduate program in the nation. No pressure there.

And I love it. All of it.

Last night was my coming out party as VP of Marketing for CEO. I planned and marketed a kickoff event for two business competitions, which ended up melding into a much bigger event. I've never planned a campus activity before, so there was definitely a learning curve here. In the end, 250+ people showed up. In resume terms, that's a 66 percent increase in attendance over a comparable event last year. Go me!

I'm admittedly really glad that the whole thing is over. (Also, my thought processes are a little warped by resume writing write now. Sorry.)

It remains to be seen how the rest of the marketing will go. Right now I've got a team of nine students who are helping me with a bunch of marketing projects that seem to take up every last bit of free time I've got. It's been a lot of fun, though, and I'm working with some really cool people.

Sometimes I wonder how I got myself into this position. After all, I was supposed to graduate in four years. I was supposed to get a degree in clinical laboratory science, and then I was going to work at a decently paying job in a hospital. I was going to get married and have gorgeous, amazing kiddies. I planned on graduate school in some health-related field, and then I was going to live happily ever after. End of story.

Something changed somewhere along the way. I honestly can't pinpoint when things started change, so I can't even really say how it happened. Regardless, the plan shifted, and I can't begin to predict where I'm headed within the next few years. I know better than that now. There are a few things I'd still like to do. I'd like to live and work in a third-world country. I want to get involved with social entrepreneurship. I wouldn't mind trying my hand at a few professional marketing jobs. Eventually I'll get married, and I'm still going to have gorgeous, amazing kiddies. At some point I'd like go on a mission or two. In the meantime, it's fun to not know where I'm headed. I'm always up for an adventure, and this one is turning out to be pretty good.



No comments:

Post a Comment