Sunday, January 10, 2010

Catching Up

It has been almost exactly four months to the day since I last wrote in here. I was so utterly swamped last semester that I barely had time to sleep, let alone keep the blog updated. I could go through a long list of everything that has been going on, but it wouldn't make for very interesting reading. Let's just say that 19 credit hours, an internship, a volunteer position, research, running a marketing team of 12 people, working on a business plan, a calling, career searching, etc., left almost no free time! I got some really great experience, but I'm definitely not doing that again!

Here are some pictures of a few of the highlights.


This picture and the one below it are from a marketing campaign I ran to get people to come to our final student-entrepreneur competition event. We got through mountains of BYU red tape to get a Lamborghini, Ferrari, Porsche, and Lotus on campus to draw some attention. We handed out nearly a thousand fliers, and we had people coming from all over campus to take pictures with the cars. One guy camped out all day just so he could hear the engines rumble when the cars were picked up at the end of the day. We arranged for him to get a ride around campus in the Ferrari, and I think it may very well have made his year.


I've always had a fondness in my heart for dark chocolate, which has lately become more of an obsession. The picture below is Tony Caputo's market. Their deli and night restaurant, Tipica, are both fabulous. They also, apparently, have the best selection of high-end dark chocolate in the United States (or so they say). Despite my busyness, I managed to make it to Tony Caputo's (in downtown Salt Lake) at least four or five times over the last few months, usually for the purpose of buying dark chocolate. One of my favorites is the Amano Madagascar bar. (Yeah, I'm biased.) Even still, it's well worth it!


The next few pictures are from a trip I made to Chicago in October. I went with the rest of the leadership of the Collegiate Entrepreneurs Organization and we went to attend an entrepreneurship conference and compete in a few competitions. Chicago was fabulous! We didn't have a ton of free time, but I did get to see a lot of downtown. I spent one night walking all through the city in a pouring rainstorm and I had a blast. It was freezing, though. I also got some authentic Chicago-style deep-dish pizza, and our group had a lot of fun at the House of Blues, just down the street from our hotel.










So now I'm finally in my last semester at BYU, and I'll graduate at the end of April. It's a little strange to finally be facing the end of my undergrad degree. It has taken six years and three changes of major to get here. Searching for an actual career is exciting and terrifying all at the same time. As of now I haven't got a clue where I'll end up or exactly what I'll be doing. Sometimes I'm tempted to tack a world map on the wall and just start throwing darts at it so I can get some ideas of where to go. (I may still resort to that.)

I'm the meantime, it'll definitely be interesting to figure the next few months/years out. I've gotten advice from just about everyone, but if you have any pointers for a slightly bewildered girl who loves new adventures, feel free to pass it right along!


No comments:

Post a Comment