Wednesday, May 20, 2009

To the One Who Started it All . . .

We've known each other for nearly a quarter century. In a way it feels as if we've grown up together. I have come from infancy to young adulthood. You have come from brand new mom to experienced and wise mother of nine.

It's hard to detect changes over the years, so maybe you haven't changed all that much. Maybe you have always been just as beautiful, wise, kind, and caring as you are now. Maybe I've only noticed your wonderful qualities as I've grown older. Either way, I feel like you deserve a bit of a tribute today. Afterall, it's your day.

Have you always been as patient as you are now? I call you incessantly to talk about boys, school, faith, my day, my future plans, and everything in between. I call you when I've aced a test. I call you when I've bombed a test. I call when I'm happy, sad, excited, disappointed, heartsick, elated, or miserable. Somehow you are almost always available to talk, and you never complain about the length or time of the call. Nevermind the fact that eight other children need your attention, too. I'm lucky to have such a patient mother.

I always feel better about life after I've been around you. In your quiet way you make me feel beautiful, smart, and funny. After we talk I often feel completely full of confidence. I can do anything, or be anybody because I know you believe in me and you believe in what I can do.

You have also brilliantly accommodated my fiercely independent streak. It may have felt like a bit of a curse to have your most headstrong child come first. I know I've been a rough case from the start. However, to use the old cliche, you have definitely given me wings to fly, and strong roots to help me along the way. All I can say is thank you.

So here's to the one who started it all. You are practically perfect in every way.

2 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute. That is written so well. Moms are the greatest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Typically eloquent, movingly heartfelt and well-deserved!

    ReplyDelete